Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Better Luck Next Time

Well I talked/rationalized/googled/chatted myself into utter indecision last night.  As we were pulling into the doctor's office this morning I said to DH - I just want a clear sign of what the right thing to do it.  This, apparently, is the one request God decided to listen to. The ultrasound showed the 25mm follicle I had the other that that they think is a cyst is still there and hadn't grown.  The other two they measured on Sunday have either shrunk or I already ovulated them.  IUI cancelled.  I started crying right on the ultrasound table.  The poor tech kept apoligizing.  She finally got my doctor's nurse to come discuss options.  She called my doctor and they agreed that it would be best to start over next cycle.
This time they want to do a baseline ultrasound on CD3, that's gonna be delightful.  They want to make sure this cyst has resolved itself before starting another round of meds.  I also want them to consider going to straight injectibles since Femara may have caused the estrogen problem.  I'll have to wait until my doctor is in the office and has a chance to review my chart to see if they'll do that.
I am beginning to feel completely defeated.  I guess today is the day I get to feel sorry for myself and then I'm moving on.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! I want to know how things went with Manhattan Cryo. I found your blog since I'm thinking about ordering from them (tomorrow!). I haven't seen any real reviews on them. What do you think? Can you share your thoughts (quickly)? Thank you! I am sorry about the cysts this time but will be rooting for you next month. The good thing is that studies have shown that women who do a couple of failed femara cycles (before using injects) respond better to the injects than women who went straight to injects. The theory is that the femara "primes" the ovaries. Wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was going to be our first cycle with Manhattan Cryo & since the cycle got cancelled I can't tell you how the counts were but they were really helpful. One thing is I would call instead of emailing, sometimes it takes them a while to respond to emails.
    Thanks for the tip on the Femara and let me know what bank you end up choosing. A lot of the ladies that were using Midwest switched to Northwest and have spoken highly of them. We need a minority donor so it wasn't an option for us but all the ladies I've spoken to have really liked them.
    Let me know what you decide and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also have chosen Northwest, but I am looking for a Hispanic donor. Many more at Manhattan. I will be sure to call - you are right, e-mailing them was making me nervous. What minority donor were you looking for - hispanic too?

    one cycle I had a cyst and the RE told me that a cyst will use up the hormones meant to grow the other follicles and that was why the other follicles didn't last to O (like yours, mine started shrinking). The dominant follicle becomes the big suction that takes up the most hormones - and when that "dominant" (biggest one) is a cyst, it takes away from the other real follicles in a cycle. That is why they won't start an IVF cycle when there is a cyst... even though one would think, well there will be 10 or so other follicles that will pop up, just ignore the cyst one... but the cyst will suck up the hormone levels meant for the other follicles and stunt them. So you did the right thing. I know it's hard to say, no I'll wait, but you did exactly what I would have done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DH is black so we need a black donor. There really aren't a lot of minority donors available. Were you able to get your order in with Manhattan? Keep me posted on how your cycle goes. Are you going to an RE? I'd love to know your counts if you don't mind. The counts at my old bank were super high so I'm nervous about switching.
    We're going to do a CD3 baseline ultrasound to make sure the cyst is resolved before starting again and I think I'm going to ask for straight injectibles so I don't have the estrogen problem I did this time.
    Good luck with your cycle!

    ReplyDelete