Monday, June 20, 2011

The countdown to 37

My birthday's coming up.  I'm going to be 37.  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  37 was my scary age growing up - that was where 'old' kicked in.

I'm a rebel and because of this I treat birthday's like New Year's, only I take the resolutions a bit more seriously.  Maybe it's because I'm usually not in a drunken stupor when I make them, or maybe its because I'm not failing miserably right next to my friends at whatever goals I've set, but with a birthday resolution it's me against the world.  (To truly visualize this you have to have Beyonce's Run The World playing in your head.)

For this year I've been thinking a lot about getting all the chemicals out of my diet.  I'm not sure logistically how to do this yet, I'm still working on the details.  I read an article about the acceptable amount of bleach allowed in the beef that fast-food burgers get made out of and it made me sick.  I also read about a women who at all fresh organic food for two weeks and the physical changes she had (energy level, skin radiance, digestive routine, total lack of headaches, etc) were pretty dramatic.  We have a pretty decent farmers market and I'm not a bad cook, but I can't figure out what to do about the business lunches.  I have a lot of them in my job and I don't know how to work it with this plan.  The other thing is I'm going to have to get DH on board.  He really loves bacon, cheese and pringles (not together, just in general)  I think I can get some organic cheese but I'm not sure about bacon and chips are definitely out, maybe I can get him to try pita bread and hummus?  The last thing I have to figure out is the cost.  Buying grass-fed beef and organic produce is expensive and I don't want to blow our baby-making money on organic food.

I'm off to search the blogiverse for a like-minded trail blazer that's already figured out a lot of these details for me.  Then I'm gonna go looking for a few 'suggestions' to give DH for a birthday present.  Not a bad way to spend and evening.

1 comment:

  1. You are gonna make 37 look GOOOOOOOD!! :) I've also been trying for some time now to be more selective about what I eat. But you're right, eating organic is hard...it is considerably more expensive for produce, at least in the supermarkets. We don't have much of a farmer's market here...closest awesome one is 2+ hours away!! But I have been buying organic milk for a long time, and although DH is a tightwad about it, he did admit that he really prefers the taste of it over the cheap crap. So that's what I buy and he's okay with it. Good luck in your search and transformation!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete