Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The rare great day & other stuff

Yesterday was one of those days where everything just falls into place.  I woke up early enough to eat breakfast and watch more than the weather.  I got to work early with a hot cup of Starbucks that DH stopped for on the way to drop me off.  My morning meetings went well.  I spent the whole afternoon at a job site with some clients who can be a bit picky.  I had purchased a load of accessories for their new offices fully expecting to have to return a solid third of them because they wanted a different option and I didn't have to send a single one back.  I even took over two pieces of art on loan from a local artist thinking they might like one of them and instead they bought them both which will mean a nice little commission for the baby fund.  Exhausted, I got home just before 7 to find that DH had gone to my favorite greasy Chinese restaurant for takeout.  I got to curl up on the couch in front of the enormous new TV and watch the second to last Oprah, thinking the whole time, that audience is have the time of their lives.  I checked the Babycenter community chatboard for Midwest Sperm Bank users to find out they are reopening.  What a great day.

When Midwest closed for 'reorganization' I never thought I'd go back.  The way they handled that was completely inappropriate and, in my opinion, not completely legal.  I thought, no way will I deal with that mess again.  Then I paid 3 times as much for poor quality sperm from Manhattan Cryobank and watched them weasel their way out of honoring their refund/guarantee.  There are so few black sperm donors and a few of the banks out there that have them are priced so high we'd never be able to afford it so unfortunately we have to put up with some mess for a quality sample we can afford.

So far our donor has not come back to Midwest, so, we may not be able to go back but I feel so happy for the women who already had a child from there and wanted the opportunity to have a full-bio sibling.  All along our donor has simply wanted to help people so we're hoping that he'll come back but even if he doesn't I'm not going back to Manhattan Cryobank unless they honor their quality guarantee for the last vial.  I sent an email to them today asking them to send me copies of all the paperwork that they sent to the doctor's office with the vial as well as the form they faxed to the doctor after to fill out about the low counts. I also asked them to show me where, in the paperwork we filled out or on their website, they explain that they only offer a refund/replacement if the count is under 7 million (to allow for 30% variance).  So far, I haven't heard back but I'm not letting this go yet.

I'm praying yesterday was a sign that things are going to start to turn around for us.  We are due for some good.

No comments:

Post a Comment