Sunday, September 2, 2012

Who Cares How You Get There???

I've had a couple of blunt conversations with loved ones in my life about this new option we are pursuing.  Most people have never heard the term 'donor embryo' before and have to be brought up to speed on where they come from.  Of the half dozen or so people I've shared this with the majority have been super supportive and excited about the idea.  I did have one person who, in retrospect, was only asking the frank questions I rely on my friends for, the ones that force me to examine my own intentions but at the time I could feel myself getting defensive and angry.  But there was one woman who took me completely by surprise.  I've always found her to be a little judgmental and I think her opinions are largely driven by whoever explained 'their side' of the issue first rather than any genuine introspective thought process but her reaction to our news took me completely by surprise.  "aren't you worried that you'll get the bad eggs since the bio-mom used the best ones?". "how are you going to explain what you did to your future kid?  They aren't technically adopted but they aren't genetically yours either?" "Do you think you'll bond the same way with someone else's baby growing inside you?". It went on and on. It helps to know she has three beautiful girls, all of whom were planned for and none of whom did she have to struggle to get so she has no personal frame of reference for this journey but still, I felt like she was slinging judgement and fear on me to the point that I needed a shower when I was done.  I don't even know what I was thinking by telling her, I think I was just excited and was having lunch with her.  We met for lunch in one of my favorite local dives and we came separately so I paid the check and gave her the following analogy: we both came here from similar parts of town, you took main and I took second street.  Does it really matter much how we got here?  I'd like to enjoy the fact that we're both here and instead you're too busy passing judgement on the route i took.  And with that, I got up and left knowing then more than ever that this is our best path to parenthood and I'm totally at peace with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment