Wednesday, September 26, 2012

I don't understand your issue

I googled the donor embryo clinic we are using today and it seems there are a bunch of people getting worked up over what they are offering and their referring to it as donor embryos.  What's offered is two embryos per transfer created from combining donor eggs and donor sperm.  The eggs donated from women are split up between several patients and if the cycle is not sucessful you get an embryo from a new egg/sperm donor at the next transfer.
Apparently people are taking issue with two things - calling them donor embryos and offering them at all.  I really don't understand the problem.  They have been very upfront with dh and I about what they are offering and what that means so people's claims that they are hiding something are just coming from people with more opinions than knowledge but the other two things, either I'm overlooking something or people are looking for something to be upset about.  There are way more people out there looking for them than people offering embryos from left over ivf cycles so its not like creating these embryos means existing ones will be destroyed.  There's another claim that you shouldn't sell embryos.  I don't get that one either.  An egg donor and or sperm donor is compensated.  Traditional egg donors are known to charge several thousand dollars.  The clinic that creates these embryos is deserving of compensation for the work they do too.  The last thing I really don't get is people taking issue with calling it a donor embryo, if a donor egg and donor sperm don't make a donor embryo I don't know what does.
Maybe I'm just not seeing it but it really seems to me people are looking at something to be upset about and feel superior over.  You would think the infertility struggle would bring people together... Guess not.

No comments:

Post a Comment