Monday, February 14, 2011

Seriously?

I am done trying to work with this sperm bank.  I've had enough, I can't take it anymore.  During our last two week wait they stressed me out by saying they are going thru a 'reorganization' and weren't going to be able to take any new orders after the end of January.  The manager, Joanne said that we could prepay for vials and they will still ship during the reorganization but wouldn't be taking any new orders.  So, we scrambled and got together the money to prepay for two vials. Last week we found out that our first IUI didn't work.  We called the sperm bank and made arrangements for another vial to be shipped to our doctors office.  They shipped the vial out and it arrived at my doctor's office on Thursday, no problem.  Friday I see a new post on an online community of women who use the same bank that they are no longer shipping.  They have royally screwed some of the women on this board and they're out a cycle because of this sudden change.

I consider myself extremely lucky that I had my vial shipped when I did but I'm also really pissed.  They had to have known this was going to happen.  Why didn't they recommended we ship both vials?  This bank also offers 'fertility preservation' services where they will store sperm long term for people having vasectomy's, cancer treatment, etc.  When we prepaid for these vials we were told it was no different than the people who stored vials for those purposes, that the vials were our property and they were storing them.  How can they refuse to ship them?  It makes no sense financially since they have to refund us now rather than just ship a vial that would otherwise just sit there indefinitely.

I just tried to call and, of course, got their voicemail.  I didn't leave a message but their outgoing message said they are 'winding down certain operations' but they are still offering 'long term specimen storage' What good does it do to store a vial they refuse to ship?  Are they now saying the people that prepaid for their vials don't 'own' them?  I'm seriously considering legal action.  This is profoundly unprofessional and I strongly believe all the stress of their 'reorganization' contributed to our BFN last cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment